Joined: 05 Apr 2006
|Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:00 pm Post subject: 2010 Honda Accord sedan/Xpress RC
|Here is my previous install on my old car: http://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?p=1188712
Anyway, new car, different radio. First thing first: the antenna. I stuck it on the trunk in the driver side corner by the rear window (image). The wire comes around and into the trunk from there. I pulled the cable for the remote trunk release out of it's clips, put the antenna wire behind it, and clipped it back in to keep it neat (image). From there I ran it to the passenger side along the underside of the rear deck, through the gap between the seat and the trunk, and under the trim along the passenger side rear and front doors. It was quite easy to just tuck it up under the trim without pulling any off yet.
From the front edge of the passenger side door trim, I ran the cable up behind the glovebox, and then over the rear edge and in to the glove box. I rolled up the slack in there, and had it come out and across to meet up with the power and audio cables from below.
I initially did not want to go through the hassle (and possible issues associated with) pulling off the console trim to hide the wires, so I put the radio on the windshield mount (image).
I drove around with it like that for a few days, and decided it was too sloppy. I looked up how to pull everything apart and found great directions here.
I only removed the section around the shift knob (steps 1 and 2 on the previous link). It came off much easier than I thought it would. From there, I removed the front accessory power outlet from the trim I pulled off; there are two plastic tabs that get pulled out, and then it slides forward and out of the trim. I plugged in the power adapter, taped it up nice so it wouldn't cause any problems in this configuration, and hid it under the trim (image).
I ran the antenna wire down from behind the dashboard and behind the trim on the right side of the console, and into the open area under the trim I removed.
Initially, I had the audio cable pinched between where the center trim piece meets the armrest storage bin (image). After a few days I decided that I didn't like how that looks, so I decided to drill a small hole in the center console/armrest storage area (image) and is also hidden under the center trim piece. I didn't want to drill a hole big enough to fit the whole connector through, so I cut the cable in the middle, fed it through, and spliced it back together on the other side.
All three plug ends of the cables come out between the gap where the center trim meets the pockets under the stereo (image).
As you can see in the previous image, since the front accessory power outlet is now hidden under the trim, I don't have to open that lid anymore. So I attached the dashboard mount right to the top of that (close up view, overall install view).
Despite the antenna being off to the side and slightly angled, it still gets a very strong signal.
As an aside, I hadn't had this radio activated in over a year, and I guess it forgot all the new channel information. So, for a few brief minutes while it acquired the new data and logos, I was treated to a nostalgic view of what once was.